Dr Martin Scholsem was awarded his medical degree with Magna Cum Laude (High Honors) and Neurosurgical Fellowship from the University of Liege, Belgium in 2007.
In 2007, Martin was selected to undertake a surgical training Fellowship in Australia at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, St George Hospital and Sydney Children’s Hospital. Martin advanced and refined his surgical skills and knowledge in Toulouse in the South of France and in 2010 was awarded Honorary Citizen of Caraman for his dedication and professionalism for his work.
Upon returning to Sydney in 2011, Martin worked as a Post-Graduate Fellow at Westmead Hospital where he gained invaluable experience in complex spine and brain surgery.
In 2012, Martin became a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) as a Neurosurgeon and has been practicing in Australia ever since.
Martin’s strong and unbiased philosophy is that all people are entitled to excellent health care. This starts first with listening to and understanding the patient, and then empowering them with the information they need to make an informed decision. Surgery is in his opinion only one step although very important/ crucial towards a better life and we cannot underestimate the other aspects such as the mindset, feeling optimistic, confident and realising that time is very often on your side.
Public, Private and Workers Compensation patients
Without distinction Martin consults Public, Private and Workers Compensation patients. Public patients requiring surgery can be added to the St George Public surgery waiting list.
Martin is a member of the Spine Society of Australia, Belgian and French Neurosurgical Societies. He has a strong interest in research, teaching and has published multiple articles in peer-reviewed journals. Martin is dedicated to continuing his medical education and teaching younger doctors. Apart from English he is fluent in French and Spanish.
Surgical Training Fellowships
- University of Liege (Belgium)
- Royal Melbourne Hospital ( Melbourne, VIC)
- St George Hospital (Kogarah, NSW)
- Sydney Children’s Hospital (Randwick, NSW)
- Westmead Hospital, Post-Graduate Fellow – complex spine surgery/ brain surgery (Westmead, NSW)
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Spine Society of Australia
- Neurosurgical Society of Australasia
- Belgian Neurosurgical Society
- French Neurosurgical Society
- St George Private Hospital (Kogarah, NSW)
- St George Hospital NSW (Kogarah, NSW)
Speciality Areas of Expertise
- Minimally invasive spine surgery
- Disc arthroplasty
- Brain tumour